Friday, December 17, 2010

Settling


Leaving Hungary to England for my rotation was the best feeling for several reasons: needed a break from the university environ, to meet up with my family and the so obvious... to be in an English speaking country. 

Got a placement in Maidstone hospital Kent, 55mins away from London. In preparation for the move, I tried to cover all areas of my need, the cost of accommodation, transport & feeding. Anyways it felt so easy and I was just ecstatic. After getting in and trying to sort everything, taking me to my room was a SHOCK!!! For a split second I thought I was in the project *not that I've been to one, but from the movies *. Immediately I was heartbroken & angry, the thought of staying there for 2 months made me shed tears *no kidding*. So many things were just wrong with it, that I couldn't even think of managing it; there was no internet (which was meant to be included), putting on a hairdryer/straightener trips the electricity of the whole building, the place stinks & the icing on the top that made me mad was I was asked to pay £500/month (for a 2 months stay). Long story short, I got another place that was closer to the hospital, a family house with lovely people *Bless them* for £65/week (bills inclusive+internet).

Then to think that, that was the end of my problems and me beginning to settle down, the academics people called me to say since am not staying there I'll have to pay £125/week for the placement (program that lasts 8 weeks)upfront. At that point I couldn't just believe my ears, all these things were new to me, and I remember asking them for all the details concerning the placement so I could inform my dad who doesn't pluck money from the backyard. Anyways after 3 weeks of communicating back and forth I was able to settle down and face what took me there. Phew!

All the hustling aside, I won't say Maidstone was fun but it was different, it was alright. The people there are friendly and amazed that I left an English speaking country to a non-English speaking country to obtain a medical degree * I won't just get to that, cause it's a topic on it's own*

Next post will be about Maidstone experience...stay tuned.
Happy weekend yayyy!!!
xoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails