Sunday, August 22, 2010

Low down

Hey guys, howdy?!

Surgery surgery lets see where do I even start from ...hmm. Low down:

1. Always be on time meaning by 7.30am I should be at the ward for rounds.
I get scheduled for morning surgeries so it's all about hanging around the OR so once its free I jump in to scrub, by the way you remember episodes in greys anatomy how Christina fights for surgeries I never understood why the interns fight for it but I get the whole deal now it's considered a PRIVILEGE to assist. This is what happened on Wednesday I was scheduled for my first surgery and after getting to the department as early as 7.40 ish I sat down for a while, dozed a bit, waited for the OR to be free and when it was my turn to scrub in you won't believe what I was told.....hmm the surgeon told me that I can't scrub in because the dude standing in front of  me wants to be a surgeon but I can observe. Oh Yes!!! (in his own words) lol. At that point I was so tired, sleepy and not thinking straight just wanted to go home or somewhere fun like the mall lol. Anyway as soon as I stepped out the OR it hit me, the surgeon didn't give me any choice, he never considered if I want to be a surgeon too. That wasn't fair and there was nothing I could do about it (it's his OR) well there was, talk to the dude about it to give me a heads up before he steals my surgery behind my back. Since then I haven't seen the dude.

Well I got scheduled for surgery the next day, no one was there to steal that lol, scrubbed in, had a small conversation with the surgeon. He mentioned where we were operating ==> thyroid gland region (multiple mass/goiter). Anesthesiologist had jokes, having fun & making me laugh. Operation started, I did my job retracting, the surgeon took his time to explain what he was doing, asked a few questions here and there. We were on our 3rd hour when suddenly I felt woozy and the nurse came to my rescue lol took me to a gurney gave me water to drink and allowed me to rest for a while. After some minutes I went back to the OR asking if they needed me lol (feeling all strong again) fortunately for me they asked me to go home and eat.  2. Eat before you begin any case.


Had my very first 12 hour call yesterday from 8pm to 8am this morning. Thank goodness I wasn't the only one, kinda cool. But imagine we got to share a single bed lol we managed quite alright though but it was funny seeing the bed knowing we were 2 on duty (usually its 1 person). Prior to the call we both had dreams that it was gonna be a busy night for us, jumping from one OR to the next (wasn't hoping for that). We fell asleep and by past 12 midnight heard the phone ring in my sleep lol  operation starting soon headed there and I observed the operation,the patient had umbilical hernia, hepatitis infection with cirrhosis one has to be careful about the hepatitis=>infectious. The surgeon was great enough to explain and it was a fast one end result is a man with no umbilicus but has other things to worry about like the hep.

The night call went on nicely slept till 7 this morning and its ON to the next person! :-)

Yours truly
Mee :-)

2 comments:

  1. Now this is beautiful. I have read all the more recent items before this one, and this is my favourite. I don't know if you get this all the time, but this has been inspiring to me. Thank you for this. Please keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate your comment. Thanks Aikay

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails